PhD Program in Law at the School of Law of the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (MLU), Germany, co-organized together with the Law Program of ADA University, Baku, Republic of Azerbaijan.
Deadline: 15 July 2021
GOAL OF THE PROGRAM
The PhD Program in Law, jointly established by MLU and ADA University, is aimed at increasing research and faculty capacities of the Law Program of ADA University, inaugurated in 2018. For this end, the Program envisages of selecting 1 qualified candidate, who has considerable potential for pursuing doctoral research in the area of Criminal Law at MLU. The potential candidate is expected to be part of the teaching faculty in the Law Program after successfully completing the PhD Program at MLU. Furthermore, a PhD candidate shall enjoy supervision offered by Professors of the School of Law at MLU, and Professors from ADA University Law Program will also offer complementary academic support.
Since 2018 the MLU and ADA University has established academic cooperation with the aim of developing successful research projects, student exchange and faculty training programs. While MLU Law School with its long-term global partnership experiences, including the Universities from the Central and the Eastern Europe, is ranked in top five of the German Law Schools in the CHE-Ranking, the ADA University Law Program, enjoying its rich institutional capacities and young faculties, is aspiring to become a leading academic destination for students, researchers and lawyers in the post-Soviet space in the near future.
DURATION AND STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAM
The duration of the PhD Program in Law is 4,5 years. Over the course of the Program, a PhD candidate is required to pass an intensive German language course, follow relevant courses both in law and research methodology, and successfully complete a course in criminal law before proceeding to research component of the degree. Please note that advanced PhD candidates will be given opportunities for getting involved in various academic and other activities of the Law Program at ADA University.
The program welcomes research topics only from the area of Criminal Law. By the rules of the program, selected PhD candidate may also change the research topic after consultation with academic supervisor and the program coordinator. The PhD thesis shall be written either in English or German. For successful completion of the doctoral thesis, each student is required to develop an individual work plan in consultation with an academic supervisor and the program coordinator.
• Master Degree in Law (in exceptional cases, applications from the graduates of the Bachelor of Law program, who possess some research experience or considerable legal practice may also be considered)
• Language Skills: English (IELTS 6,5) or German (B2 level)
• Research and Writing Skills: the candidates should demonstrate considerable research and writing skills
• To be a Citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan
• Exemption from the Military Service, or where applicable, suspension from service for the period of study
• Doctoral Degree in Law from MLU upon successful completion of the program
• Full financial coverage during the program
• Full access to the infrastructure of two renowned Law Schools
• Supervision by two experienced professionals
• Individual research strategy (plan) for a PhD candidate
• Language and research courses at MLU
• Opportunities for various academic and other activities
• All applications together with required documents shall be submitted in English by e-mail not later than 12 AM (midnight), 15 July 2021. Please entitle your email with the following statement: Application for PhD Program in Law.
• Application package shall include: